a socially conscious journey into the heart of social impact
In this eye-opening course run in the heart of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Skillseed takes participants behind the scenes in a retail social enterprise's jewellery production process, where they will receive the opportunity to work hand in hand with local artisans to bring their designs to life! They will also get a chance to market their designs back home.
In Design for Good, students learn how design can make an impact
Students participate in the entire production process, from idea conception to sales. In this course, students have the opportunity to:
design with a clear purpose.
- Work alongside artisans and to know their stories as you work together to transform designs into products with stories to tell and an impact that transforms lives
- Through your involvement throughout each stage of making a design come to life, gain exposure to the nuances and complexities of the different stages or product development, including prototyping, supply-chain issues, and marketing and distribution
- Analyse and understand the impact of responsible production and their converse on the ground
- Learn about and experience the 'hows and whys' of social enterprises - be inspired by the creativity, heart and passion of people who have dedicated their careers to social impact
- Experience and appreciate the fullness of Cambodian culture and hospitality, while also learning about the country's complex history and visiting several national treasures.
For maximum impact, students will undergo pre-trip training on design and begin brainstorming designs up to 5 weeks before the start of the course, submitting initial proposals before the course commences. Students MUST be committed to submitting this initial proposal so that products may be completed within the 8 days in Cambodia.
INFORMATION ON COURSE FEES ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH PARTNER SCHOOLS, OR EMAIL US TO FIND OUT MORE
Fees typically include the following:
- Accommodation & meals (we make socially and environmentally responsible choices as far as possible!)
- Transport (including flights and airport transfers)
- Entrance fees for attractions
- Course materials
- Insurance cover
- Engaging experts & 24/7 experienced facilitators
Your investment in our courses also enables Skillseed to further our social mission by empowering local communities through employment or job creation. It also goes towards course development (we do intensive consultations with key organisations and conduct project site visits!) and provides opportunities for course alumni to further develop their skills and passions with us or our partner organisations.
THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
- Are at least 15 years of age and in good health
- Have no strict vegan diet requirements or severe allergies or debilitating allergies, and don't require prescription medicine that requires constant refrigeration
- Are fluent in English (written & spoken)
- Passionate about design, and community development!