go behind the scenes of public policy successes
Is it possible to tackle rising pollution levels without harming the economy? Is there a way to provide a high level of cost-free education to everyone in society? Will gender equality ever be a reality? Can we re-educate convicted criminals so they can once again become productive members of society? Is there a way to sharply reduce prostitution without punishing sex workers?
Combining a discussion of recent Scandinavian history, political theory and public policy case studies, participants will explore questions about what constitutes a "good society" and seek their own understanding of the answers with the help of policy experts, political activists and hands-on learning.
This course focuses on how Sweden addresses social challenges that it and almost all countries face today. Through meetings with policy experts, political activists and hands-on activities, participants will challenge their understanding of the role of politics, history and the state in the formation of a socially progressive and just society.
- Understand Sweden's holistic approach to sustainability spans food practices to housing and education through field trips to a school, farms, and more to learn about the practice of these progressive principles
- Connect with Swedish activists on the ground and find out how they partner their government to make Swedish society more just and inclusive
- Explore Swedish geography and history on a walking tour of Stockholm and role-playing games at Stockholm Parliament
- Visit start-ups and an urban sustainable living community; learn about Swedish perspectives on sustainable development and their approach to ensuring gender equality
- Be inspired by a teacher integrating immigrants into society and policy-makers to understand their approach to immigration challenges
Fees will differ according to your needs - please contact us for more information.
Fees typically include the following:
- Accommodation & meals (we make socially and environmentally responsible choices as far as possible!)
- Transport (including flights and airport transfers)
- Entrance fees for attractions
- Course materials
- Insurance cover
- Engaging experts & 24/7 experienced facilitators
Your investment in our courses enables Skillseed to further our social mission by empowering local communities through employment or job creation. It also also goes towards the development of future courses and journeys - we do intensive consultations and site visits with every partner organisation we work with. Finally, your support provides opportunities for past participants to further develop their skills and passions with us or our partner organisations.
JOIN US IF YOU...
- Are passionate about development, public policy, and human rights
- Are at least 15 years of age and in good health
- Have no strict vegan diet requirements or severe allergies or debilitating allergies, and don't require prescription medicine that requires constant refrigeration
- Are fluent in English (written & spoken)
“Public affairs is always one of my interests. It is wonderful to actually have the opportunity to systematically understand Sweden's policy making in different fields.”
“It made me become even more interested in social issues such as education, medical care, and equal rights movement even more.”