learn from local change-makers leading the way for sustainable change
BEYOND BALI'S TOURIST attractions lies a tension between economic opportunity and the preservation of Balinese environment and culture. This course challenges students to take a closer look at the issues faced by the communities they visit, examine the role and contributions of ground-up movements, learn about responsible tourism, and understand the implications of this tension on different communities.
making a change from the ground up
- Learn from and be inspired by passionate and accomplished social enterprises and ground-up movements tackling different issues faced by Balinese communities
- Closely examine the effects of tourism in Bali through site visits and conversations with local change-makers; understand how different stakeholders are leveraging local assets to address needs, and how they are innovating to preserve the integrity of their culture and environment
- Immerse yourself in Balinese history and culture though guided journeys around the island; explore temples and the nooks and crannies of the island on foot and sidecar to experience how the locals live, work, play, and find purpose
- Take away lessons from one of the most beautiful locales in the world about social innovation and making an impact by creatively drawing on resources within local communities
Fees typically include the following:
- All accommodation & meals (socially responsible wherever possible)
- Transport (includes ground transport and airport transfers, and excludes airfares - but flights between Singapore and Bali can be booked via Skillseed upon request)
- Entrance fees for attractions, workshops, and excursions
- All course or project materials
- Engaging experts & 24/7 experienced facilitators
Your investment in our courses enables Skillseed to further our social mission by empowering local communities through employment or job creation. It also also goes towards the development of future courses and journeys - we do intensive consultations and site visits with every partner organisation we work with. Finally, your support provides opportunities for past participants to further develop their skills and passions with us or our partner organisations.
JOIN US IF YOU...
- Have an interest in social entrepreneurship, community-based tourism, and environmental responsibility
- Are at least 15 years of age and in good health
- Have no strict vegan diet requirements or severe allergies or debilitating allergies, and don't require prescription medicine that requires constant refrigeration
- Are fluent in English (written & spoken)