join a scientist in learning about mangrove ecology and coral reef conservation
Held in the beautiful Bali Barat National Park, Skillseed is proud to bring you the Biosphere Foundation Environmental Stewardship Summer Course led by Biosphere's resident field scientist in collaboration with local NGO partners. Designed to inspire intelligent stewardship of our earth's biosphere, students will get to learn about environmental challenges from scientists in the field while engaging in community-based conservation activities from coral reef conservation (snorkeling!) to innovative agro-forestry initiatives in scenic outdoor classrooms constructed right next to the sea and in the forest.
This course runs in MAY, JUNE, JULY, AUGUST, NOVEMBER and EARLY DECEMBER.
Led by a Biosphere field scientist, this course teaches the importance of environmental protection. Students will enjoy staying in rustic, safe and clean accommodations located at the Scientific Education and Research Center (SERC), the field-station out of which Biosphere Foundation operates at the National Park. They will get the opportunity to:
- Explore ongoing biosphere conservation efforts and sustainable solutions through a series of projects
- Work side-by-side environmental scientists in the field, and be equipped with tools to become future stewardship leaders
- Engage in exciting activties such as hiking, swimming, and boating
- Snorkel at Menjangan Island (a sacred, uninhabited temple pilgrimage site) to study coral reefs
- Experience ancient Balinese traditions, ceremonies, dance and Gamelan music
- Experiencing how environmental scientists live, work and eat in the field!
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Orientation and Introduction to Snorkeling, Coral Reefs, and Community Service
- Introduction to Mangrove and Monsoon Forests
- Forest Service Day
- City Biome and Waste Management Service Day
- Sustainable Agriculture Service Day
Through this course, students will be encouraged to promote and spread awareness of environmental conservation in their local communities upon their return to make a difference for the future.
INFORMATION ON COURSE FEES ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH PARTNER SCHOOLS.
Fees typically include the following:
- Arrival, pick up and check-in into SERC (where participants will be staying at)
- Transport (including flights and airport transfers)
- Course materials
- Insurance cover
- Engaging experts & 24/7 experienced facilitators
- Contribution to beneficiaries
Your investment in our courses also enables Skillseed to further our social mission by empowering the local community through employment or job creation. It also goes towards course development (we do intensive consultations with key organisations and conduct project site visits!) and provides opportunities for course alumni to further develop their skills and passions with us or our partner organisations
THIS COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR LIFE SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENT enthusiasts.
- be at least 15 years of age, healthy, and not require any prescription medicine that requires constant refrigeration
- not be afraid of water as they will be snorkeling amongst coral reefs
- not have any peanut or seafood (especially fish sauce) allergies or strict vegan diet requirements
- be fluent in English
- For further information, email us at email@example.com
"IT HAS IGNITED A PASSION FOR THE ENVIRONMENT IN ME. I AM NOW MUCH MORE INTERESTED, AND CAN BETTER APPRECIATE NATURE THAN I COULD BEFORE THE TRIP. I AM ALSO DEFINITELY TRYING TO BE MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY IN TERMS OF THE THINGS I DO EVERYDAY. ALSO, I MIGHT WANT TO PURSUE A CAREER IN THE FIELD OF MARINE BIOLOGY."
100% OF PARTICIPANTS AGREED THAT THEY:
DEVELOPED A GREATER SENSE OF SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
BECAME MORE APPRECIATIVE OF CULTURAL DIFFERENCES
CAN RELATE SOME OF THE SOCIAL ISSUES EXPLORED DURING THE COURSE TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY
ON OUR COMMUNITY PARTNER
From the Biosphere Foundation:
Over half of course fees went towards the employment of locals from the community
Approximately 10% of fees supports Biosphere Foundation's work in North-West Bali including educational work.
Biosphere's partnership with Skillseed enables the foundation to reach young people that they would not otherwise be able to reach. Biosphere plans to provide a series of educational weekends trips for local Balinese children, teaching about the local ecology, waste management and enabling them to see areas, such the coral reef, which they would not otherwise have the opportunity to explore.
As part of the course, participants met with 50 local Balinese teenagers for cultural exchange. The local teens got to meet others from around the world who are deeply interested in creating a sustainable future.